Copyright © All rights reserved. Site Design by Tischbein.
Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter
Cariad was built in 1904 by Edwin 'Cracker' Rowles for a Cardiff pilot, Thomas Richards of 47 St Fagans Street, and she was registered at Cardiff on February 9th 1905. To pay for her, Richards obtained a mortgage from a fellow pilot, Frank Trott.
Richards, born in 1865, got his port pilot licence in 1891, his second-
Some crew lists for Cariad still exist. From January 1st -
In the statement filed at Companies House over the creation of the Steam Pilot Boat Company, Thomas Richards is shown as one of the proposed directors, his address now 4 Grange Gardens, Cardiff. He is also shown as one of the company's subscribers, with an original allocation of five shares, later increased to 25.
On February 6th 1914 the company resolved to sell Cariad, for £225, and she was duly acquired by a Bristol pilot, Enoch Watkins of Pendarvis, Pill. On June 16th 1915 the Bristol coastguard's issued Cariad with a permit allowing her to sail up to three miles from Pill, during daylight hours only. After the death of Watkins in 1916, ownership stayed with his widow, when Cariad was used by other Bristol pilots, namely George Thomas, Christopher Case and Leonard Vowles.
Cariad was one of four pilot cutters kept on after the Bristol pilots' amalgamation in July 1918. Cariad's station was near the Breaksea lightship, and it was here on Tuesday December 12th 1922 that the era of sailing pilot cutters came to a close, when the steam cutter Queen Mary came down channel to relieve her.
Cariad was sold to a Lieutenant E.N. Waugh of the Naval Reserves. He put an engine in her, but she had been laid up for 18 months by the time he sold her.
The Last Working Cutter Part 1 by Tim Pratt